Monday 6 February 2012

Proof that I can write serious poetry

I'm not a poet. I've never been a poet. But I did write this.

The hardest question
For the love that he left behind,
Saddle-sore but safe,
A tonic rather than a torment.
He tried to be worthy
But they'd got the cake.


Please read it carefully; try to find the meaning, if any.

Actually, I found it while looking out some notes for adult creative writing classes, and I'd forgotten all about it, but I rather like it (especially the poignant last line). I constructed it by taking random lines from newspapers.

But I don't suppose I fooled anyone.

6 comments:

  1. That sounds like a good exercise for our writers' group. Maybe we could come up with something equally inspiring (tried to find the kindest adjective here). I like cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you sure you aren't a poet?

    "I love saddle-sore but safe".

    An interesting exercise, Frances. Maybe you should try more poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it and keep re-reading it. It sounds lovely read aloud. I agree that the last line is so poignant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maggie, - not exactly creative, though. More plagiarism!

    No, Yvonne. Sadly, I'm not a poet!

    Joanna, it's great isn't it? Such a shame it doesn't mean anything!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great way to create poems - I'm tempted to have a go at that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Patsy. I'ts great fun, but not really poetry (although I think it can be as good as a lot of the modern stuff!).

    ReplyDelete