Tuesday 7 February 2012

Proving that this can be a literary blog. Sort of.


This time yesterday, I was reading Peter Rabbit to the group of prison inmates who are in my creative writing class. It felt rather odd - they are all big, mature guys, and they might have felt insulted - but they listened politely without interrupting. I was using Peter Rabbit as an example of short story form. It's brilliant. It has a beginning, middle and end, a hero (Peter) and villain (Mr. McGregor), danger (Mr. M again), conflict (Mr. M and Peter), and a resulution (Peter's escape). But not too cosy, because Peter gets punished and isn't allowed bread and milk and balckberries for supper* like his sisters, who were "good little bunnies" (and creeps, but enough of that).

The homework is to write the story from someone else's point of view; Old Mrs. Rabbit (Peters' mum) or Mr. McGregor. The last time I asked a class to do this, the results were absolutely brilliant, and hilarious. I'm looking forward to what comes up with my present class.

*Not a treat in my book, but each to his own.

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful thing to do. I'd love to know how they get on with the exercise you've set them. And what a perfect example of the short story form. I must have read that little book hundreds of times to my daughters and they loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your choice of book - bet that was a bit of a shock to them. Like Joanna, I'd love to know how they get on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's excellent Frances. I too would like to know how this turns out. Do keep us informed. Thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes, like the others here, I'd love to know how they did with their homework. Sounds like a really good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are coming up with some great ideas that I might suggest for our writing group. Let us know how the inmates get on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Joanna. I think I know it off by heart!

    Rosemary, I'll keep you (all) posted!

    Thanks, Diane and Librarian!

    Maggie, it's a really good exercise in POV, and the results can be very entertaining. In my last class, we were all howling with laughter! I'll see what happens this time...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic idea - don't forget to keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds a lot of fun Frances, and a credit to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tales of Peter Rabbit, eh? Perhaps the lads were hoping the story would tell them how to burrow their way out.
    (I'll get me coat!)

    ReplyDelete